Recreation Facility Attendant
Hours of Work:
35 Hours per Week
Days and Weekends
Recreation Facility Attendant
Yarmouth Recreation provides recreation programming and services for the residents of both the Town of Yarmouth and the Municipality of Yarmouth. Yarmouth Recreation is given direction and recommendations from the Recreation Committee. Yarmouth Recreation continuously strives to improve the quality and condition of our facilities, increase the availability of recreation and leisure programming for area residents, and ensure optimal customer service.
Yarmouth Recreation is searching for a dynamic, organized, and energetic individual to assist in the coordination and supervision of summer day camp programs, special events, and activities. Recreation is the experience that results from freely chosen participation in physical, social, intellectual, creative, and spiritual pursuits that enhance individual and community well-being.
Working Conditions: The normal working hours would be the same as the regular office hours of Yarmouth Recreation – 8:30 am to 4:30 PM Monday to Friday. In addition, there would be evening and weekend shifts that would be covered on a rotation basis. Compensation for overtime would be provided as equivalent time off.
Environment: The normal work environment will be outside in various weather conditions. The work will involve many physically demanding jobs such as operating equipment and tools to complete grounds maintenance tasks; raking, shoveling, and digging; lifting and moving heavy objects Information for Application Process Must Possess a Valid Class 5 Driver’s license to operate a truck and tractors *first aid and WHMIS is required. Will be provided to those without valid certification.
Desired Experience and Education
- High School diploma or equivalency.
- A combination of knowledge, ability, and experience in a grounds maintenance position is acceptable.
- Use of own vehicle, preferably a truck would be an asset.
- Must possess a valid Class 5 Nova Scotia Driver’s license.
- Ability to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions.
- Emergency First Aid and Workplace Hazardous Materials
- Information System training, horticulture course from Community College or NSAC, class 3 Pesticide applicators certificate, small engine repair/mechanic training, farm equipment mechanic training, equipment operator training.
- Landscaping or grounds maintenance experience in commercial or institutional operation, experience with a recreation department, farm equipment operation, and golf course experience.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Ensure that all safety procedures are followed at all times while at work.
- Confer with supervisor regarding care and cleaning of grounds.
- Regularly inspect grounds for fire, security, sanitary, and safety hazards.
- Preparation of facilities for community use.
- Care and maintenance of equipment used for work.
- Operate tools and equipment in a responsible manner and protect against damage and loss.
- Operate vehicles and grounds maintenance equipment.
- Minor servicing of grounds maintenance equipment.
- Make recommendations for grounds improvement projects.
- Maintain grounds in a safe and clean condition.
- General and basic grounds maintenance operations
- Proper use of tools, equipment, and materials
- Follow all safe work practices.
- Safely operate tools and equipment used in grounds maintenance.
- Safely and efficiently perform maintenance on grounds equipment.
- Keep accurate records of work and equipment servicing.
- Maintain cooperative work relationships.
- Reporting any problems, concerns, criticisms, and compliments to the Facilities Coordinator.
The Recreation Facility Attendant will be responsible to perform all duties as listed and other duties as requested by the Facilities Coordinator and/or Director of Yarmouth Recreation.
Please submit your cover letter with the position you are applying for, if applying for multiple please indicate your preferences for positions along with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions, please call us at 902-742-8868.