Yarmouth County Community Health Board Wellness Funds – What are they used for?
On Tuesday, March 5th the Yarmouth County Community Health Board met to celebrate the community organizations whose projects were approved for wellness funds.
Wellness Funds support local non-profit groups in developing healthy communities. Wellness Funds are available to support projects that advance community health board priorities and use a population health-based approach in addressing the social determinants of health such as income, education, social supports, early childhood development, etc. Grant funding is part of the NSHA annual operating budget.
Many community organizations, small and large received wellness fund assistance for their programs. Watch for Yarmouth County to become a healthier, happier place to live, work and play in part due to the work of these groups and individuals:
- Acadia First Nation Native Women’s Group
- Acadia First Nation Youth Centre
- Families caring for a loved one with an eating disorder
- Consent Film Fest committee – Schools Plus
- Ecoles Plus – CSAP Argyle
- Jeux de l’Acadie – Par-en-Bas
- LBGTQ+ Alliance
- Schools Plus – Yarmouth County
- South West Nova Dental Hygiene Study Club
- Southwest Employment Services
- Canadian Mental Health Association – Southwest Nova Branch
- The Friends of Ellenwood Park
- Western Counties Regional Library
- Yarmouth County Learning Network
- YMCA of Yarmouth
Non-profit community groups and organizations that have been together for a minimum of six months and are able to receive, manage and track funding can apply. This includes groups associated with Conseil scolaire acadien provincial (CSAP) and the Nova Scotia Regional Centers for Education (formally known as school boards). Grants typically range anywhere from $250 to $3000. Larger requests may be considered on a case by case basis. The application period for Wellness Funds will reopen in Summer/Fall of 2019. Additional information on Wellness Funds may be found here or contact your local CHB Coordinator.